The requirement is to hide part of the navigation options based on the user security group. In other words, hide from the end-users navigation tabs were they don’t have permission to view, and avoiding the message “you don’t have permission to view this page” , or “Tell us why you need access…because we really want to know you better, and this is a private club you are not invited…”
There are few ways to provide a security based navigation , in this post I will use the Term Store as the provider for the navigation, and with some settings within the term store you will be able to hide tabs based on user permission. this is the no code approach.
High Level Steps:
- Prerequisite SharePoint Server Publishing feature needs to be activated on the site.
- Enabling Managed Navigation and Create A term store navigation.
- Assign the term store navigation to the site collection/site navigation.
- Change Term Store terms
- Switch Term-Driven Page with Friendly URL under the Navigation tab.
- Provide a target page under the Terms-Driven
At this point you should be done and the term will be presented based on the user permission.